SACE | Southern Alliance for Clean Energy
Climate Action to Benefit Tennessee’s Economy
WHAT: Southern Alliance for Clean Energy will host a Telephone Press Briefing, Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 10 a.m. EST. Gathering economists, energy experts and business leaders, discussion will rebuke misleading global warming positions introduced during the U.S. Chamber of Commerce and the Tennessee Chamber of Commerce’s “Tennessee Climate Change Dialogue,” held Wednesday, August 13, 2008. Panelists will address ways climate legislation can encourage a clean energy economy leading to new jobs and economic development in Tennessee. A mandatory, market-based program created to limit carbon dioxide emissions, such as a cap and trade policy, can help the Volunteer State expand its job market, enhance our national security and reduce harmful pollution.
WHO: Participants will include speakers from the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy’s “Climate Solutions for a Green Economy” panel, which took place August 13, 2008 in Morristown, Tenn.:
– Dr. Stephen Smith, Southern Alliance for Clean Energy; Knoxville, Tenn. – moderator
– Mr. Keith Romig, United Steel Workers/Sierra Club; Nashville, Tenn.
– Mr. Russ Nelson, Energy Systems Group; Johnson City, Tenn.
– Dr. Burton English, The University of Tennessee; Knoxville, Tenn.
– Dr. Kristen Sheeran, St. Mary’s College and Executive Director of Economics for Equity and the Environment: E3 Network (did not attend panel)
WHEN: Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 10:00 a.m. EST
WHERE: To join the tele-press briefing, please dial 1-888-346-3659 and use this code 8247#.
FACTSHEETS & REPORTS:
• “Tennessee Global Warming Factsheet” Southern Alliance for Clean Energy http://www.cleanenergy.org/resources/factsheets/TN_GW_factsheet.pdf
• "How Costly is Climate Change Mitigation? A Methodological Critique of the ACCF/NAM Claims, Tufts University. http://www.e3network.org/resources/How_Costly_ACCFNAM2008.pdf
• “Green-Collar Jobs: The New Cash Crop” American Solar Energy Society http://ases.org/images/stories/ASES-JobsReport-Final.pdf
• “Job Opportunities for the Green Economy: A State-by-State Picture of Occupations that Gain from Green Investments” Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts, Amherst http://www.bluegreenalliance.org/atf/cf/%7B3637E5F0-D0EA-46E7-BB32-74D973EFF334%7D/NRDC_report_May28.pdf
• “Job Opportunities in a Green Economy: Tennessee Can Gain from Fighting Global Warming” http://www.bluegreenalliance.org/atf/cf/%7B3637E5F0-D0EA-46E7-BB32-74D973EFF334%7D/GreenJobsTN0508_01.pdf
• “The Cost of Climate Change – What We’ll Pay if Global Warming Continues Unchecked” http://www.nrdc.org/globalwarming/cost/cost.pdf
• “The New Energy Economy: Putting America on the Path to Solving Global Warming” http://www.nrdc.org/globalwarming/energy/eeconomy.pdf
• “Green-Collar Jobs in America’s Cities” (14 case studies of successful green-collar job training, including examples from the South) Green for All http://www.greenforall.org/resources/green-collar-jobs-in-america2019s-cities/download
• “Clean Power Comes on Strong: How Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Can Fuel Our Future” Sierra Club http://www.sierraclub.org/energy/cleanenergy/renewablesfactsheet.pdf # # #