Tell Tenn. Senators and Governor Haslam you support Scenic Vistas!
Contact them TODAY!
Tennessee is poised to become the first state in the nation to ban high-elevation surface mining techniques such as mountaintop removal (MTR) – an incredibly devastating form of mining that destroys mountains permanently – BUT WE NEED YOUR HELP. The Tennessee State Senate Environment Committee will consider the Tennessee Scenic Vistas Protection Act this Wednesday, Feb. 29th. We expect the vote will be very close, so we need your hands on deck to move these legislators to do the right thing!
Please find the Senate Environment Committee’s contact info below and place a call or two TODAY!
Not sure why mountaintop removal mining is so bad?
LEARN MORE HERE or watchthis video from Tennessee Conservation Voters.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Call the Senators on the list below, who sit on the Environment Committee. Let them know you support the Scenic Vistas Protection Act, and want them to vote “YES.”
- Call Governor Haslam at 615-741-2001. He spoke out against mountaintop removal during his gubernatorial campaign. Ask him to put action to those words by showing leadership to guide the Scenic Vistas bill through the legislature.
Senate Environment Committee
- Senator Steve Southerland, Chair – Phone (615) 741-3851
– Senator Jack Johnson, Vice-Chair – Phone (615) 741-2495
– Senator Jim Summerville, Secretary – Phone (615) 741-4499
– Senator Mike Bell – Phone (615) 741-1946
– Senator Mike Faulk – Phone (615) 741-2061
– Senator Kerry Roberts – Phone (615) 741-1999
– Senator Roy Herron – Phone (615) 741-4576
– Senator Beverly Marrero – Phone (615) 741-9128
Senator Eric Stewart – Phone (615) 741-6694
Appalachian Voices and other advocates have been working hard to pass this bill. Learn more about their work and the devastating practice of mountaintop removal mining here.