SACE | Southern Alliance for Clean Energy
Advocacy is building support for or opposition against a particular issue. You can advocate for or against an issue to elected leaders, decision makers and even your friends and family.
A wide range of strategies – ‘tools in your toolbox’ – can be used to build support for climate solutions that promote a clean energy economy:
- Write a letter to the editor – Your local paper is looking for your opinion on an issue that matters to you, and publishing a letter to the editor (LTE) can help educate and mobilize your community in only a few minutes. Click here for hints on writing an LTE and newspaper contact information.
- Use social networks – Social media has revolutionized the way we communicate with friends, family and even strangers. Follow SACE on Twitter and Like Us on Facebook and then use these platforms to educate your friends and followers about the importance of climate and clean energy policies and actions.
- Learn about Congress - Click here to learn about the United States House of Representatives (“the House”). Click here to learn about the United States Senate (“the Senate”).
- Contact Congress – Citizens hold power, but your voice will not be heard unless you speak to your elected leaders and let them know what kind of climate and energy policies you want to see. Click here to Write your Rep or Speak to your Senators.
- Lean about the Federal Legislative Process – Click here to learn how a bill becomes a law. Click here to find a particular bill in Congress. Click here to learn how members of Congress voted on a particular bill.
- Organize an office visit – Members of Congress and their staff serve the public and are available to you, their constitutents. A powerful way to send a message is to make an appointment and visit the office of one of your elected leaders in Congress to speak about the policies you support. Click here for helpful hints on setting up a meeting with decision makers in your community.
- Host a clean energy party and educate your friends – Get excited and spread the word about efficiency, renewables and innovative technologies which are saving consumers money and creating new jobs throughout the country! Click here for helpful hints on hosting an energy film party – then take action to make your voice heard!
While Congress and the White House are the critical audiences for climate advocacy right now, you can use this information to advocate for clean energy solutions to local officials, state legislators and other community leaders.
Need ideas? Contact Southern Alliance for Clean Energy to find out what you can do!
SACE’s Advocacy Efforts
For more than 25 years, SACE has promoted responsible energy choices that solve global warming while ensuring clean, safe and healthy communities throughout the Southeast. In recent years, SACE staff have ensured that our voices are heard as far away as Washington, DC as we advocate for sound energy policy to our region’s Congressional leaders.
In more than 300 meetings on Capitol Hill and in our states since 2005, SACE has educated policy makers and their staff about the global warming challenges the Southeast faces and the clean energy solutions at hand. In addition, SACE has participated in Congressional briefings and submitted written testimony for Congressional committee hearings. Through action alerts, website updates and newsletters, SACE continues to inform our members and allies about federal policy developments and opportunities to urge elected officials to support clean energy policies.